Northumbria Police and Crime Panel
Northumbria Police and Crime Panel scrutinises the work of the Police and Crime Commissioner.
The Panel acts as a critical friend to the Commissioner – assisting her through independent challenge.
The Panel has a number of powers and responsibilities, including:
- Reviewing the draft Police and Crime Plan to ensure local priorities have been considered
- Scrutinising the Commissioner’s Annual Report
- Reviewing and scrutinising decisions and actions of the PCC
- Reviewing, and potentially vetoing, the Commissioner’s proposed policing precept (the part of Council Tax collected for policing)
- Holding confirmation hearings for the proposed appointment of a Chief Constable
- Reviewing PCC’s proposed appointments of her Chief Executive, Chief Finance Officer, and Deputy Police and Crime Commissioner
The Police and Crime Panel for Northumbria is administered by Gateshead Council. All information relating to the Panel can be found here